Overview: #OptOutside, #BlackFriday, #Trails, #REI.
In 2015, major retailer REI launched the #OptOutside campaign and encouraged customers and employees to avoid the Black Friday consumer chaos and, instead, spend some time outside enjoying the scenery.
REI offered its 10,000 plus workers paid leave and even suspended e-commerce sales during the campaign.
Now in year 3 and going strong, REI is partnering with Lyft and offering a $10 promo on rides to major parks in select cities in the US on Black Friday.
If you're going to be outside tomorrow and uploading pics, add the hashtag #OptOutside so REI's search tool can include your content too!
Here are some of my chart-topping locations I would suggest visiting tomorrow. (All photos taken by me, and yes I realize I wear the same thing on all my hikes, but it's my signature outfit so don't hate!)
1. Mt. Woodson Trail/Potato Chip Rock in Ramona, CA
2. Joshua Tree National Park in Southern California
3. Mount Bonnell in Austin, TX
4. Hamilton Pool Preserve in Dripping Springs, TX
5. McKinney Falls State Park in Austin, TX
6. Graffiti Park in Austin, TX
7. Ho Chi Minh Trail in San Diego, CA (I recommend approaching this as a night hike so you can enjoy the sunset as you venture down to Black's Beach.)
8. Angel's Landing in Zion National Park, Utah
9. The Narrows in Zion National Park, Utah
10. Echo Mountain in Los Angeles, CA
11. Abandoned Zoo in Los Angeles, CA
12. Big Bend National Park in Texas
13. Enchanted Rock in Fredericksburg, TX
14. Angeles National Forest in Los Angeles, CA
15. Sturtevant Falls in Los Angeles, CA
Wherever you go, remember this little aphorism:
Recommended Book: Wild