Chordee is a congenital condition that occurs in male children. The condition occurs when the child's penis curves up or down. This curve is usually present at the glans or the top of the penis. Chordee is a somewhat common condition, occurring in about 1 out of 200 births of male children. The condition is usually diagnosed by doctors right away once a child is born, but not always. When it is diagnosed right after birth, doctors (urologist) will recommend surgery to resolve it.
Dr Shiva Kumar is one of the most reputed urologist in bangalore with so many years of experience provides comprehensive urology treatment in bangalore.
Symptoms of Chordee
Well, Chordee is pretty much obvious, as the sharp curve of penis upwards or downwards is quite visible. This curve can present itself anywhere from the base of the penis near the testicles to the beginning of the glans.According to pediatric urologists in Gurgaon, other symptoms of Chordee might include:
- Penile torsion - The midline raphe, located on the bottom of the penis shaft, circles around the penis tissue rather than running along the shaft.
- Dorsal preputial hood -The foreskin (the tissue that usually wraps around the tip of the penis) only covers the top half of the penis.
- Skin tethering - The tissue around the urethra near the tip of the penis is extremely thin.
- Webbed penis - The skin on the bottom of the penis shaft is connected to the skin of the scrotum, creating an area of webbed skin.
In mild cases of Chordee, a person may not notice until puberty when they get an erection.
Causes of Chordee
Chordee is caused when the penis stops growing during the developmental stages of a fetus. Doctors have understood the fact that this usually happens around the 10th week of pregnancy. As to why the tissue stops growing, is uncertain. Genetics usually is the reason when no other adequate cause is found.
Treatment of Chordee
Any leading pediatric urologist or urological surgeon can treat Chordee by straightening the affected child's penis by performing surgery. There are certain urology hospitals in Delhi which have the top urologists in Delhi available, which you can visit for treatment of Chordee. The surgical procedure is quite straightforward, and will go something like this:
- The surgeon will use anesthesia to make sure the child stays asleep during the surgery.
- They will then remove any extra tissue that's causing the penis to bend.
- The tissue will be used to make the penis straight and it will be made sure that it's the same length on all sides.
- The urethra will be extended to the tip of the penis where the tissue has been operated on.
- Any openings or cuts will be stitched closed.
- The penis will be filled with a saline solution to check how straight the penis is after surgery.
- The penis will then be wrapped in a surgical dressing to keep it straight and protected.
The child can be taken home shortly after the surgery, although a catheter will have to be used for some weeks to allow the urethra to heal.