From Day 13-17 of my fast, my friend and I drove 2,260 miles from Monroe, Louisiana to Cordillera, Colorado. My parents finally sold our family home in the Vail-Beaver Creek resort area, and I ventured West one last time to gather the rest of my belongings, artwork, and nostalgic memorabilia from the mansion of lost family dreams.


The trip started out normally enough. I dropped my dogs off at the vet Friday morning, and my friend came to pick me up at my place, greeting me with a giant grin and a grande hot mint tea from Starbucks. This was my first non-water beverage of the fast, and it was mind-blowing! I conceded that some herbs may not be the worst idea for undertaking a journey of this nature while fasting.


The first day went rather smoothly. Sunny skies blessed us from Monroe all the way to Hays, Kansas. I drove about six hours through the traffic of Oklahoma, and experienced some muscle cramping in my quadriceps and pain in my low back. Every time I got out of the car, I felt like a little old lady, stiff and unable to move very quickly.


It was surprisingly easy to continue fasting, and I enjoyed the smells of my friend’s food in the car. Some obsessive food-related thoughts crept in, and I acknowledged them instead of chasing them down into neverland.


It was an amazing day of heart connection and opening. We drove about nine and a half hours and laid our heads to rest in a Holiday Inn, absolutely exhausted from flying through space time. Yoga nidra beckoned me to consolidate the nourishment of the day.




We awoke on the second day (day 14 of my fast, yay for two weeks!) to the sound of pouring rain.


I had gotten to sleep last night alright, but woke up a lot, as is common for me when staying away from home in random hotels whilst roadtripping. I began my day with about a half hour of vipassana meditation.


My friend ate some breakfast, and I poured some tea, and we were off into the dark skies of Kansas. It was great to open up to my friend and for her to open up to me on deeper and deeper levels. Her story is powerful, and I am amazed and humbled by her resilience and strength of character. I offered to help her write her memoir someday!


As we drove through the open, spacious nothingness of the Kansas landscape, the rain drove down more forcefully, and the temperature continued to drop. The car began to hydroplane now and then. Ultimately, the car hydroplaned so badly that my friend lost control of the car.


We skidded from the right lane of westbound traffic into the left lane, across the grassy median, and over into the eastbound highway traffic. We ultimately smashed into a guardrail head-on, perpendicular to eastbound interstate traffic. In the passenger seat, I looked to my right, and saw an eighteen wheeler speeding toward me. He moved out of the way just in time.


After a moment of breathing, I urged my friend to move the car, and we pulled over to breathe more. I still didn’t feel safe on the side of the road, so we drove to the nearest exit to assess damage.


Neither of us were physically hurt. The airbags hadn’t popped out, so there were no broken noses or ribs. My knees had slammed against the dashboard, and would be bruised. The center of my chest really hurt. My heart was in overdrive!


It was absolutely terrifying. Oddly when we had crossed the median, I had felt a sense of trust that we would be ok. And we were and we are. We were both wearing our seat belts thankfully.


I knew the pain in my chest stemmed from the rapid increase in blood pressure and activation of my sympathetic nervous system. My stress response was in overdrive. It took me a while to calm down.


Back on the road, we hydroplaned and turned perpendicular to traffic several more times, as the rain turned to snow. We considered stopping, but the weather was only supposed to get worse, and I knew that as night fell, visibility and conditions would only worsen.


The most dangerous part of the drive by far was the stretch between Denver, Colorado and Edwards, Colorado, which is called Vail Pass. Vail Pass is winds through the Rocky mountains with steep grades up and down. My friend was still driving, as she did not want me to wreck her car and be responsible for it. A kind thought. She began to drive us through the pass, but we continued to hydroplane, at one point so badly that we were stuck perpendicular to traffic.


A couple nice guys stopped to help us. One informed me that it is illegal to travel the pass in these conditions without 4WD. Certainly makes sense to me! My friend’s vehicle is a Jeep Cherokee, but it’s not 4WD and has normal tires with little traction apparently. My friend was so nervous after that final hydroplane that she asked me to drive, and I accepted.


I had no trouble navigating the rest of the pass, remaining as calm as possible. I prayed the entire way for safe passage.


Once in Edwards, we stopped to get her food, and I went to the health food store for a zero calorie Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar drink. I needed SOMETHING!


We finally made it to my family’s home. It was super eerie with most of our stuff out of there. By far the cleanest energy I’ve ever experienced there. Usually, it’s very dark and negative, but the energy was much lighter. Thank God! I did a walk through of the house and started the hot tub for us.


Once the sun went down, we soaked in the hot tub for a long time, opening up, being vulnerable, and processing the experience. What a day!!!




On Day 3 of our journey (Day 15 of my fast), I felt tired and sore. I had allowed myself to sleep in, and boy, did I need it! I felt like I had been hit by a truck, and was so grateful I hadn’t been!


I took an enema, as I was feeling very nauseated.


I strongly felt the inertia and black hole-like nature of the house, as thoughts entered my mind about not wanting to leave. I contemplated taking off work and staying to finish my fast and enjoy the winter wonderland.


I didn’t want to leave, but I knew I needed to. It's so beautiful there, and I love waking up and seeing the snowy mountains. I know that I will return on my own terms, and it will be right and in alignment.


We got massages at my favorite local massage spot, after I had packed mostly everything. I was not super motivated to do much of anything after the stress of the past two days.


After my half hour massage, I went to the juice bar and got a ginger shot and a mountain rose shot. Neither had sugar, so hopefully they didn’t mess with my ketosis.


Afterwards, we went into Beaver Creek Village, which is normally a lively place with shops, restaurants, condos, ski rentals, and an ice rink. It was totally dead. The end of April through May is the off-season, and everything is pretty much closed down, ghost town status. I totally see why my parents bought a house in Arizona to go to during these times, as it must be pretty boring to live in the area all year round with two major off-seasons in the spring and fall.


We enjoyed mint tea at the Hyatt, sitting outside to relish the scenery and the fresh mountain prana. The ski slopes were powdered white, but the lifts weren't running, and there were no people. It was quite sad.


On the way home from the village, we talked about our options for leaving. We had planned to stay one more night in my family’s house, and leave in the morning. However, the weather forecast and everyone we had talked to suggested that it would start snowing tonight and not stop for four or five days! We decided to hustle and leave. We packed everything up quickly and skedaddled.


My friend elected that I drive. The pass was a treacherous with a brief streak of blue sky. After a false sense of calm sank in, we went through Eisenhower tunnel, and on the other side was a blizzard. Everything in my body tensed up, and I became very stressed. I no longer trusted her jeep!


I focused on safely, slowly, and cautiously driving through the conditions. Early on, the windshield wiper fluid went pow, frozen. Half the time, I couldn't even see through the dirty windshield. To make matters worse, we couldn’t figure out how to shut off the interior lighting, so the glare from the indoor lights blinded me!


By the grace of God, we made it safely through the pass to Castle Peak just outside Denver. It's super nice area.


The weather had cleared in Denver. We took a different route and went through downtown, which was gorgeously illuminated. A truly sprawling city.


I couldn’t have been happier to make it to the Holiday Inn Castle Peak. We crashed into our beds, and I performed yoga nidra to sleep and beyond!


Thoughts swirled around in the soup of my mind. God was sending me serious messages! Appreciate your life! How serious are you about feeling your feelings? How committed are you to fasting? See how much you like your routine and being grounded. Isn't it nice to be where you are?! The mountains are stunning, but the family house here is no longer home. It never was! One day I will have my own place in the mountains if I choose.




On the morning of day 4 (day 16 of my fast), I appreciated the deep sleep of the previous night. I experienced some congestion and dry mouth, but nothing terrible. My nose was dry, boogery, and bloody, which is normal for me at elevation.


The view outside the hotel window looked like Christmas morning on a powder day. I told my friend to hustle and that we needed to get out of there.


Once again, I drove. For the first hour or two through southern Colorado, snow fell. Gorgeous mountains and tundra unfolded around us.


Finally, the snow stopped, and we entered New Mexico for a warmer change of scenery. My friend drove us under blue skies and sunshine, which felt oddly unfamiliar. 


Texas was largely uneventful too. In Amarillo, we stopped for drinks and food at the natural grocery store. I had been feeling quite nauseous with a queasy tummy, so I got some Braggs ginger drinks, which seemed to help. I drove us to Decatur, Texas under dark grey storm clouds, which held their showers and allowed us safe, dry passage.


In Decatur, we arrived exhausted and checked into yet another Holiday Inn. I took a luxurious shower and tucked myself into bed for yoga nidra. I had some trouble getting to sleep due to this odd noise in the room. I couldn't tell where it was coming from. I finally got to sleep.




On day 5 of our journey (day 17 of my fast), I awoke at 8 am. I sipped some water and enjoyed some hot decaf coffee to warm and perk up. A fasting no-no maybe, but a present moment must-have.


My friend drove all but the last two hours. Driving the last two hours was almost more than I could bear, but with God’s help, I managed. We drove through more rain in Louisiana, and some more slight hydroplaning happened. But we made it.




My friend helped me unload everything. I had been afraid that it would be pouring at my house, and we’d have to unload in the rain, but fortunately that was not the case. HALLELUJAH!


At home, I did an enema to release some brown swamp water. My nausea had built to such a level that I know without a doubt that I need those daily for the remainder of the fast.


Afterwards, I laid down and listened to the Sri Mati podcast. I ended up napping for about an hour.


Around 4:30, I picked up my screeching little puppies. They were so grateful to see me and so very happy to be home.


I relished sitting down in my recliner to sip some detox tea with tulsi. Lord knows, I needed the holy basil to calm my nervous system! I made it about halfway through my mug. My body is most interested in pure water apparently.


I watched a bit of the cancer documentary, and took a hot shower.


Reflecting on the trip, I realized I had a lot of food obsessive thoughts. I think this is due in part to all the advertising for food on the road, being with my friend who was eating, and being so tired and stressed that I just wanted to break the fast for some quick relief.


BUT I DIDN’T! I am proud of myself! I will break the fast on my own terms. I knew I would regret it if I didn’t at least give my body the time to recover from this journey before determining when would be the right time to break my fast.


My sponsor and I also worked on and finished my Al-Anon step one today. We discussed all the ways my life had become unmanageable as a result of addiction. It felt good to be making tangible, quantifiable progress.


I felt like a lot of spiritual healing happened even amidst the stress and terror and tension of the last few days. Maybe because of all the stress?!


My gratitude list was long and rich. The next few days will be dedicated to rest and recovery. Once again, I am so grateful to be alive. Life is truly a gift not to be taken for granted! Namaste.


Thank you for reading! Please be sure to check out my posts on my previous 28-day fastDay 1Day 2Day 3Day 4Day 5Day 6Day 7Day 8Day 9Day 10Day 11, and Day 12!

Published by Taylor Norris