What’s your backstory?
I grew up in Vancouver, Canada and was a pretty regular kid. I had no idea what I wanted to do after high school, then in grade eleven I was introduced to social media and started my business, Slogan Social. Honestly, I focused so much on growing my business that I almost didn’t graduate. After high school I focused full-time on Slogan Social, trying to expand and grow as much as possible. I had no idea that a passion project would turn into multi-million dollar business. People thought I was crazy in high school for working 10 hours a day, every day, but it didn’t feel like work to me.
What are your “5 things I wish someone told me when I first started” and why?
1. Outsource quicker. I relied solely on myself to work long days for about a year, and although I enjoyed it, it’s much better to have a team behind you so I could make more time for friends and family.
2. Diversify. My company has been really successful in its niche, but my next step is diversifying my income. Having multiple income streams, even if small, is a way to continue learning and feel more secure. Anyone with a company working online knows that some things may happen that are out of your control and it’s best to have options.
3. To not spend time with cynics and negative people. The energy brings you down and has no benefit to you.
4. There is a huge difference between being busy and being productive, take note of it.
5. That my time is most valuable. I really value my time now, by who I spend it with and doing what. There’s a quote that 20% of your clients take up 80% of your time, and I completely agree.
Published by Asheer Raza