Elizabeth Gilbert enthralled readers with her memoir Eat, Pray, Love, however, Gilbert's writing didn't begin and end with that one book. Gilbert spent years writing, hoping and waiting for that great idea to catch the eye of a publisher, for big magic to happen. Big magic is explained as when an idea jumps in your head and you are able to develop it into a beautiful story, gorgeous painting or whatever you creative release is.Many of us feel the same way, waiting for big magic to come and find us. I know I do, as I continue to write blogs and other stories that pop into my head. Elizabeth Gilbert's book Big Magic dives in the creative processes and how Gilbert has struggled as a writer from the beginning. This book is the perfect book for someone in the creative field (not just writing) that needs a little inspiration. I know I felt completely inspired after I read this book and plan to hold what I learned from it dear to my heart in years to come. I gave this book a solid 4 out of 5 on GoodReads. As this book gave me a lot of creative inspiration but had its' slow moments.
Here are few of my favorite inspiration quotes from Big Magic:
- "Do whatever brings you to life, then. Follow your own fascinations, obsessions, and compulsions. Trust them. Create whatever causes a revolution in your heart."
- "You can measure your worth by your dedication to your path, not by your successes or failures."
- "It seems to me that the less I fight my fear, the less it fights back. If I can relax, fear relaxes, too."
- "A creative life is an amplified life. It's a bigger life, a happier life, an expanded life, and a hell of a lot more interesting life. Living in this manner- continually and stubbornly bringing forth the jewels that are hidden within you- is a fine art, in and of itself."
- "Living a life that is driven more strongly by curiosity than by fear."
- "Perfectionism is just fear in fancy shoes and a mink coat."
Published by Cameo Jonas