What to Do after an Out-of-State Car Accident

What to Do after an Out-of-State Car Accident

May 27, 2019, 11:12:43 AM Opinion

Out of state accidents don’t happen often; however, when they do, the unfamiliarity with the surroundings can leave one in the state of shock and panic and cause them to make costly mistakes.  That’s the reason why all drivers need always to be prepared for such scenarios before hitting off the road to another state.
If you are involved in an out-of-state car accident, what ensues will depend on the nature of the crash. But even so, it is to your advantage to have adequate car insurance and to familiarize yourself with the traffic rules of the state you’re planning to visit before you live home. A majority of car insurance policies cover all states in the US, including Canada and US territories; so, it shouldn’t be too much of an issue reporting out-of-state claims. 

However, you should know that dealing with this kind of insurance claim, especially if there were injuries involved is not an easy task. It’s true that you can handle the claim from Nevada, but you can’t settle the claim – you will need to file a suit under the other state’s laws. Since the accident happened in that state, it falls under the state’s legal jurisdiction. If you aren’t well versed with the insurance things and all that it involves, it might be in your best interest to retain an accident attorney, so they can help you navigate through the entire process with ease. 

Other than insurance, the rest of the steps in an out-of-state accident are more or less the same as a local accident
First, you’ll need to call the police –irrespective of the circumstance or extent of injuries; you should inform the law enforcement about the accident. This is a legal requirement, but the police report will also come in handy for insurance claims. 

Seek medical attention – If you are injured, it is essential to get immediate medical attention. Your health should always come first before anything else.
Call your lawyer – the second most important thing after getting medical attention is contacting your personal injury lawyer. These lawyers will serve as your legal guide, point of contact with the insurance company, negotiator and even advocate.  They will ensure that you get the best possible outcome for your case. 
Document the crash – this includes personal and insurance information of the other driver. You may also talk to a few witnesses. Most importantly, you want to take pictures of the scene including the damages, marks on the road, environment, and so on – this will assist you in filing a claim. 

Filing a lawsuit
You will need to make a claim in the state where the accident has occurred and follow the state’s personal injury laws. You also need a lawyer who is licensed in the state – so, you’ll be left with two options, to either find a lawyer in the state who can represent you, or find a lawyer in your home state who is licensed in both states. Using a dual state has incredible benefits – you can meet them in person; they have legal knowledge of both states, and they understand the statute of limitations of the other state.


Published by Christina Woodard

Reply heres...

Login / Sign up for adding comments.