A couple of months ago I travel to Mexico City to visit my sister and do some training. During training I had a couple of low pressure moments (almost passed out) during training, my body was adjusting to the altitude of the city (2,250 m elevation) but other than that I had a great week!
This gave me the idea to write about my tips to keep it up in the court.
I always bring a small chocolate (aim for the highest % of cocoa), a banana, water and a sports drink.
Listed below my ultimate list of before and after morning training food.
Before (1 to 2 hours before workout)
- Fruit smoothie
- A bowl of cereal with milk or oats with Greek yogurt, both with fresh fruit
- Egg whites (a single provides around 4 grams of protein and NO fat)
- Half banana almond butter toast (if you are more into sweetness) *sprinkle with toasted coconut
If fancy a snack before workout try to keep to do it 60 to 90 minutes before and aim for 100 - 200 calories and a combination of lean protein and a slow acting carbs (like apple/peanut butter toast).
After (30 to 60 minutes after workout)
- Chicken, beef, salmon (aim for protein with an equal portion of veggies)
- Power salad (include tomato, broccoli, avocado)
- A bowl of cottage cheese with fruit (add honey and whole grain cereal)*sprinkle with cinnamon
If fancy a snack immediately following a workout you can have a chocolate milk, protein bar (just watch the sugar), tuna crackers or a green smoothie.
REMEMBER: Do not "reward" yourself with foods high in calories and saturated fats and do not skip a post-workout meal.
Subscribe for more posts like this. Click here for a short video of me in mexico city!
Published by Dany Bellamy