With the advancement in medical science and its technologies, the demand for the process of SMILE (small incision lenticule extraction), similar to LASIK has increased over a while. During the smile eye surgery, the doctors create a very small incision on the surface of the cornea and extract the lenticule through the incision and discard it. Thereafter, the shape of the cornea is altered correcting the vision for the patient. While this is a quick process, there are certain things every patient should know before checking the smile eye surgery cost. This post will guide you about the benefits of smile eye surgery, side effects, and smile surgery cost to help you smoothly take the process when in need.
The Benefit of Surgery:
While the surgery is similar to LASIK, with the advancement of technology, this process is more advanced and has further benefits like:
- Safe and quick process
- Bladeless, flapless, and painless surgery process
- Precision and accuracy rate is high
- Less risk of dry eyes as compared to LASIK
- Less risk of additional procedure for myopia after SMILE
- No need to put eye drops for long-term
- Biomechanically develops stronger cornea post-surgery
- Suitable for personnel from defense, sports, athletes, etc.
Before one plans to go for the SMILE surgery and check the smile surgery cost, depending on the condition of the patient, the doctors may also discuss the possible things that may happen post-surgery. Some of those complications are:
- On average, dry eye symptoms may occur for 3-4 months and would need additional lubricants in the form of eye drops.
- Instability in vision may cause sudden blurring that might continue for 3-4 months post-surgery.
- Night glare might also happen for 3-4 months and in some cases, may become permanent.
- In some cases, other possible complications may include epithelial erosion or implantation, diffuse lamellar keratitis (DLK), suction loss, infection, etc. Some of the rare complications that may occur in some percentage of people are vascular occlusion, retinal detachment, persistent corneal swelling, ectasia, and malfunction.
SMILE is a cutting-edge eye procedure and has been giving successful results. However, there are minor limitations concerning smile eye surgery. Some of them are:
- It treats near-sightedness better than other vision problems.
- Like smile surgery cost, the range of treatment for this surgery varies in different parts of the world.
- The smile process leads to the somewhat thinness of the cornea. Thus, for the enhancement process, they recommend the PRK process.
- Since the SMILE technology is new, one recommends considering only the renowned doctors and reputed hospitals to get the procedure done smoothly and successfully.
Cost of Smile Eye Surgery:
Since it is a new technology to correct sightedness, the smile eye surgery cost is expensive overall. While it can be compared to the cost of premium Lasik surgery, there are certain factors on which the smile eye surgery cost depends. They are:
- The treatment range varies from different parts of the world.
- The technology and machines used.
- The renowned doctor that will perform the surgical process.
- The way the procedure would take place.
Selecting the Right Hospital:
Since there are several eye hospitals providing SMILE eye surgery treatment, it is imperative to look for the following factors while selecting the best of them:
- Renowned professionals and doctors
- Wide range of services provided by the hospital
- Cost of treatment and empanelled insurers / TPAs
- Modes of payments accepted
- Trust among the past patients through reviews posted by them
The above guide would make it easy to understand if the SMILE is the correct eye surgery for you. If you want a quick and permanent solution to your near-sightedness that is painless, bladeless, and without any flap issue, SMILE is the surgery for you. Above all, make sure to consider a reputed hospital with internally trained surgeons with cutting-edge technology to bring the vision change.