Drunk driving or driving under the influence of alcohol (DUI) or driving while intoxicated (DWI) is prohibited around the globe due to its detrimental effects. In New York alone, drunk driving is one of the most common reasons for car accidents.
If you’re in Syracuse and you are charged with DWI, you need to hire the best lawyer because you could face heavy fines and jail time when you lose your case. Visit dwiguy.com to look for New York-based lawyers who are experts in DWI cases.
When hiring a Syracuse DWI lawyer, here are some things you need to consider:
1. Local Counsel
Driving while intoxicated entails a lot of problems such as losing your job, towing and impound, and being charged, which is the most difficult and costly. If you don't want the burden of paying for trial fees, you may want to settle your case. Therefore, it’s best to consider local lawyers.
Here are the benefits of hiring local lawyers for your case:
- They are familiar with the prosecutors, judges, and procedures of the courthouse; hence, they can bring your case to a favorable courtroom.
- They know what approach to use to get a better deal with the prosecutors or judges for settling cases.
- Validating the online reviews of the local lawyers is easy as you can ask around your city or former clients in your area.
2. Professional Experience
Settling your case needs a local counsel, but when it comes to going to trial, the skill of your lawyer is very important. Experience in DUI matters when measuring lawyers' skills in handling a DUI case. Lawyers with years of experience have more chances of having a successful defense compared with lawyers who only recently started practicing.
Moreover, when choosing a DUI lawyer, you must consider lawyers who work with DUI cases as there are many different fields of law being practiced. A DWI is a criminal offense, so never hire lawyers who are experts in civil cases but not practicing criminal law.
Here are other reasons why years of practice is an essential factor when choosing a DWI lawyer:
- They can use their extensive experience for your benefit, especially what defenses to specifically apply to your case.
- They can deal with problems in less time with appropriate solutions, unlike new lawyers who may need a considerable amount of time to come up with the best solutions.
- They are very knowledgeable with the court system and justice system of different counties and cities.
- Their familiarity with judges and court personnel can have an impact on the outcome of your case.
The record of a DUI lawyer is also important when choosing someone to represent your case. A good history shows how often their clients are found innocent or went to diversion programs instead of going to jail.
Moreover, you should look for attorneys who didn’t undergo disciplinary actions by the state bar, if possible. If the lawyer has been disciplined, know the reasons for such. Being disciplined by the state is reflective of the lawyer’s professional ethics, but sometimes, the complaint is minor and won’t affect your case.
To find out if potential lawyers have an excellent reputation, check the following:
- Check on the state bar associations as they can tell you whether a lawyer is licensed or not and whether the lawyer has been disciplined and the reasons for it.
- Ask for recommendations from friends, colleagues, and family.
- Online sources that list lawyers according to peer nominations, awards, history of verdicts, and settlements are also good sources to check a lawyer’s standing in the community.
- The lawyers' colleagues and previous clients are also great information sources.
4. Legal Fees
When hiring an attorney, you need to consider what you can afford. The fee of your DUI lawyer should stay within your budget. It’s necessary to ask their legal fees to know if you’re overpaying or underpaying their efforts on your case.
Also, the services they offer can vary whether they are paid hourly or they set a flat rate. Hourly rate lets you pay for the time the lawyer worked on your DUI case, whereas flat-rate fees quote the entire cost of your case. The former keeps you from overpaying as the payment stops when your case is resolved. On the other hand, a flat rate can save you a lot of money in the long run, especially for cases that take a lot of time before obtaining a resolution.
When you have a DUI case, you need to have the best representation to avoid putting your future in jeopardy. Your ability to work will be at stake as well as your freedom when you lose your case. Therefore, it’s best to hire the best DWI lawyer that will protect your best interest.
Published by Elena Tahora