Sciatica is known to be a common form of chronic pain. This condition can decrease your activity levels. Also, it can limit your range of motion. If you are dealing with such devastating pain, then physical therapy is an effective method to try out.
Below are some of the exercises and stretches that can help you in sciatica pain relief Dublin GA. All that you need is to perform these stretches to effectively reduce the severity of your sciatica pain.
What Is Sciatica?
Talking about sciatica, it is regarded as a common form of nerve pain. This pain radiates along the sciatica nerve, specifically from the lower back down the back portion of the leg.
It is resultant from pinching or compression of the sciatic nerve. Some of the significant causes of sciatica are the following:
- Herniated discs in the spine
- Narrowing of the spinal column also known to be spinal stenosis
Common symptoms associated with sciatica are inflammation, pain, and tingling or numbness.
Now, let’s have a clear idea about six stretches that are proved to be very effective for sciatica pain relief Dublin GA.
6 Stretches To Try For Sciatica Pain Relief
Stretching is regarded as one of the most effective ways which aid in reducing your sciatica symptoms. It works by loosening the tight muscles, especially in the butt, lower back, and back of the legs.
1. Forward Pigeon Pose
Pigeon pose is known to be an excellent stretch for sciatica. It works excellently to release lower back tension. There are several variations of the pigeon pose. Let’s find some out of those.
- Begin this exercise on all fours on a yoga mat or the floor.
- Consider bringing your right leg forward, i.e., across your body. You should keep your shoulders and chest ahead. Also, your right knee will be in the front portion of your body. Your right foot will be across your body, specifically by the left hip.
- Focus on the gradual shifting of your body weight into your hips. You should experience a stretch in the lower portion of your back and butt.
- If possible, you can consider leaning forward with your chest into the pose. It will help you to get an extra stretch. Hold this position for about 30 seconds and repeat the same thing on the other side.
2. Sitting Spinal Stretch
This stretch works by effectively reducing the pressure on the sciatica nerve caused by the spinal column.
- To perform this stretch, first of all, you will have to sit on the floor with your legs positioned in front of you.
- The subsequent step is to bend your right knee and position your right foot on the floor. It should be placed in the outside portion of the left leg.
- Position your left elbow on your right knee. Now, you should focus on lightly twisting it unless you experience a gentle stretch in your back portion.
- Consider holding this position for about 30 seconds and repeat the same on the other side.
3. Reclining Pigeon Pose
Reclined pigeon pose is known to be an effective, gentle stretch for sciatica pain relief Dublin GA. It is widely used for sciatic nerve, hamstrings, and lower back treatment.
- Begin this pose by laying on your back, specifically on the floor.
- After that, consider bringing your right leg up in the air. It will make a right angle with your shin and knee.
- The next important step is to hold this position, which is possible by clasping your hands around the back portion of your right thigh.
- Next, bend your left leg across your right leg. In this regard, your primary focus should be to place your left calf onto your right thigh.
- Finally, hold this position for about 30 seconds. It will help effectively release gluteal muscles, which can irritate your sciatic nerve, then alternate on the other portion.
4. Sitting Pigeon Pose
This exercise helps to release tightness in your glutes, hips, and lower back.
- Begin this exercise by sitting on the floor with your legs in front of you.
- Consider bending your right knee and position your tight ankle alongside your left knee.
- Keep your back straight while you lean forward. Also, focus on moving your chest, specifically towards your thighs.
- Hold this position for about 30 seconds and then switch sides.
5. Knee To Opposite Shoulder
This stretch helps to release tension in the butt and lower back.
- Keep your left leg flat on the floor by laying on your back. While practicing this position, consider bending your right knee.
- Now, lift your right knee by bringing the knee to your left shoulder, specifically across the body.
- The next thing is to hold this knee position with the help of your hand. Consider gently pulling your knee closer to your shoulder for about 30 seconds.
- Consider switching sides and repeat this on every side about three times to get the best results.
6. Standing Hamstring Stretch
It is regarded as an excellent exercise for sciatica pain relief Dublin GA as it works by targeting the hamstring muscles.
- Stand and place your right leg straight out precisely in your front. The next thing is to support it on a chair, ottoman, or any elevated surface.
- Consider keeping your toes flexed in the straight position.
- The next thing is to maintain a slight bend, specifically in your left leg. Your primary focus should be to hold this for about 30 seconds.
- Finally, it would help if you switched your legs once you were done with all the steps.
So, these stretches are regarded as great tools which help to promote healing from sciatica. Try this out for the most effective sciatica pain relief Dublin GA.
Published by Eli Bryant