Are you wondering how you can make Soy milk at home? Here's the good news, it's easy and won't cost you much. Homemade soy milk is a healthy alternative drink to cow milk and better than what you get in a supermarket; it is fresh and has a strong smell.
It is a popularly sought drink due to its high nutritional content. Furthermore, it is suitable for both adults and children. All you need to make it are two ingredients, yellow soybeans, and water. However, one can also add other ingredients and sweeteners. Here are three easy ways to make soy milk at home.
1. Plain Soy Milk
The first way to make soy milk at home involves these simple steps:
- Soak soybeans overnight in water (ensure they are clean and have no dirt before soaking).
- Drain the water and remove the outer skin.
- Put the soybeans in a blender and add three cups of water.
- Blend well until they become smooth.
- Strain the mixture from the blender using a cheesecloth, nut milk bag, or a fine-mesh strainer.
- Now pour all the mixture in a pan or pot, then add about 250ml of water.
- Let the mixture cook for almost 20 minutes under medium heat as you stir it.
- Remove from heat and let it cool.
- You can add dates or vanilla extract and blend, then serve. You can check out all nutritional information concerning soybeans from ussoy.org.
2. Soy Milk with Additives
Image source: Pixabay.com
Here is another way to make soy milk at home.
Ingredients: (for 2 quarts and 1 1/2 pints)
- A cup of soybeans
- a-quarter cup of sugar (you can adjust as per your taste)
- 11 cups of water (you will add 2 to 3 cups at a time
- Several bowls
- A pot that holds more than 11 cups
- Wooden spoon
- Container to store the finished product
Pour the water and soybeans into one bowl and soak for about 8 hours. If the water level falls below the soybeans, add more water.
Take the mixture, pour it into a blender, add additional four cups of water, and blend until it becomes smooth.
Pour the mixture into a cheesecloth and hold it above the pot. Ensure that you squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Then pour the leftover in the cheesecloth back to the blend and blend till smooth. Repeat the procedure.
Put the mixture on the stove and boil under high heat while stirring for about 2-3 minutes.
Add sugar to taste and other flavors such as honey, chocolate, vanilla, and fruits, then serve.
You can also add a sweeter that you prefer or drink it plain if you don't want such additives—adding a small amount of salt before drinking is another way to relish soy milk.
Be creative and experiment with ingredients such as ground cinnamon and cocoa powder.
3. Chocolate Flavored Soy Milk
Chocolate flavored soy milk is a favorite one to most people and only takes 5 minutes to prepare.
- Honey or sugar
- Cocoa powder
- Cooled or boiled milk
- Use agave and soy milk if you are vegan.
- Take a bowl and put water, honey, and cocoa powder, whisk until it becomes creamy.
- Put milk in a bowl or blender, add the cocoa mix you made previously, and then blend until smooth.
- Your mixture is ready, serve it cold and enjoy with your favorite food or snack pairing.
Tips to Consider
- Always use yellow soybeans because they are the best variety to use in making soy milk.
- The amount of water you add depends on the preferred thickness of the milk.
How long will the homemade milk last?
It will stay for three to five days as long as you store it in a sealed container inside a fridge. Within this period, it should retain its taste, smell, and looks. Avoid freezing the milk because it destroys the flavor and texture. However, it is crucial to note that freezing will not affect nutritional content. Therefore, you can make one that will last about a week and drink as you wish.
Making soy milk at home is easier than you thought. Anyone can make it with the right ingredients and equipment. Although you can quickly get packaged soy milk, making it at home allows you to customize and drink it ultra-fresh. You decide what goes in, its texture, and whether to leave the milk fortified, flavored or plain.
Like in any cooking, quality is critical. You need to use high-quality ingredients like non-GMO soybeans and filtered water. From there, be patient with yourself as you master the art. Homemade soy milk goes well with fruit smoothies, with your morning cereals, or as a plain drink.
Published by Emmawillson