Thursday, November 12, 1959   Vol. C750



East Farewell – It has been six years since the Korean armistice and most of America has moved on from that difficult time. East Farewell celebrated Veterans Day yesterday with a parade and a ceremony at the War Memorial The lone bugler, high school senior Frank Janson, played taps in the distance as a wreath was laid at the entrance to the ”Military Area” and a list of names were read in remembrance of the town’s soldiers who had paid the ultimate price.

There is another story that did not make the headlines until today. It is a story that typifies many stories of the returning servicemen but many do not turn out as positive as this one. Buzz Cooper served in the army during the war and came home in 1953. He never talked about his experience and tried to get on with his life but he suffered from flashbacks to his combat tours. It was difficult for him to keep a job and he had trouble forming relationships. One of his only friends was Al, the bartender at the Lost Oasis bar. Al was older, wiser and more compassionate than most and Buzz would spend a lot of time with Al at the Lost Oasis. Buzz was an angry young man but Al was able to keep him in line. Natalie Mallard had graduated with Buzz and she was friendly with him and would see him in the bar. Buzz misread her kindness and felt they were becoming a couple. Natalie quickly picked up on this miscommunication and tried to gently end it. That did not go well. Buzz stormed out of the Lost Oasis and disappeared. He did not say goodbye and did not leave a forwarding address. That was back in 1954. Natalie and Al tried to find him but since he said he was leaving he wasn’t considered a missing person, legally. After a couple of years he faded from people’s memories.

            Last week he walked back into the Lost Oasis and ordered a beer. Al was still working the bar and was quite taken back. After drawing him a beer Al had a long talk with Buzz trying to catch up on where he had been and what he was doing. As it turns out Buzz had gone off to California to try to get himself straightened out. He tried working on a farm picking produce and then moved north to a vineyard. Working in the vineyard seemed to soothe his troubled spirit. He was able to work his way up to the point where he was actually able to buy his own small vineyard. In a couple of years he was producing a well-received bottle a vino and making a profit. Buzz came back to East Farewell, his home town, to re-establish connections with his old friends make amends and try to sell some his wine. He talked with Al for a long time and then he walked over to Mrs. Mallard’s boarding house to see if Natalie was still around. She was and she was glad to see him as an old friend.

            Buzzes met with Charles Wentz, the owner of the Lost Oasis, and strike a deal to buy and serve his wine. Al still holds down the bar and Natalie still sings in the bar occasionally and Buzz has gone back to Napa Valley with the promise to return for the holidays, his favorite time in East Farewell.

Lost Oasis Bar & Restaurant



East Farewell – The Cougars hosted the Corning Devils at Regional High Field on Friday afternoon. Earlier in the season the Cougars won a hard fought game against the Devils, 14-7. The Devils came into town looking for revenge but they were disappointed as the Cougars showed an extremely well balanced defense that had noticeably improved from their first meeting. Sophomore, Mitch Rooney was added to the roster after arriving new to the school from Philadelphia. Rooney, at 5’11” and 175 lbs. plays defensive tackle and has changed the Cougar rush completely. The Cougars showed a new and improved pass rush that kept the Devils scrambling all game. Rooney alone was able to sack Devil’s QB, Brad Lawson, three times for a single game Cougars record. The Cougars defense kept the hard charging Devils offense off the balance and was able to give the offense plenty of time to score. The game ended with a 14-0 Cougars win.

            Overall the game was a defensive slugfest. It was only when Cougar’s QB, Kevin Dugan, made a last second pitch to Joey Neil that the Cougars were able to break out of the middle of the field and move the ball down to the Devils 20. The Devils defense stiffened again and the Cougars were faced with a forth and five at the fifteen. Kicker Sammy Regalia came on the field to attempt a field goal. Regalia had been flattened by the Devils in their earlier game and the Devils were looking to repeat their previous assault. The ball was snapped to Dugan, who was the holder and the Devils rush was ferocious. Instead of placing the ball down for Regalia to klick he picked it up and rolled to his right. Wide receiver Max O’Hara was streaking down the sideline all alone and Dugan hit him with a perfect pass as he crossed the goal line. Regalia came back on and kick a perfect extra point. The game went back to its grinding, smashing battle and the Devils came close in the late third quarter but a beautiful diving defense by Cougar Daniel Green saved a touchdown and the Devils came away with nothing. Very late in the fourth quarter the Cougars appear to have finally worn down the Devils defense when with only 1:20 left Dugan tossed a screen pass out to tight end Albert Dillon who was able to split through the two Devils guarding him and evade the safety coming from across the field. Dillion scampered into the end zone with only 30 seconds left. Regalia kicked the extra point and kicked off but the Devils only got back to their own forty and a last second long bomb was woefully overthrown.

            After the game ended both sides spontaneously met in the middle of the field and congratulated each other. “That was never done before,” said Coach Burcowitz after the game, “The boys did that on their own, on both sides. I had nothing to do with it. They were all just so impressed with each other’s play that they had to go out and congratulate them. It was just great. I really admire those kids, all of ‘em.”

            The Cougars have their Homecoming next week and will play the Sun City Eagles. The game will be on Friday night beginning at 7:05PM. There will be a Homecoming ceremony before the game beginning at 6:00PM on the Regional High Field.



In this first year of Castro’s revolutionary takeover, the government of Cuba calls for the “Three Kings Day” version of Christmas and is eliminating the North American kind. Dr. Vicentina Antuna, Cuba’s director of culture, denounced St Nick as “alien” to Cuban custom. The government forthwith bans the import of North American-style Christmas trees, artificial ice and snow, ornaments etc. and suggests that if Cubans must do something on December 25, they do it with domestic materials such as Palm trees.

The Cuban government announces the seizure of the 35,000 acre American-owned King Ranch in Eastern Cuba for conversion into a co-operative farm under terms of Fidel Castro’s agrarian reform law. The property with its 8,000 head of cattle is estimated to be valued at almost $5 million. It remains to be seen what manner the former owners would be compensated. Robert Wells, attorney for the King Ranch says government seizure of the property had come almost without warning.

President de Gaulle announces that Soviet Premier Khrushchev will arrive in Paris March 15 for a two-week visit. President Eisenhower adds Spain and Tunisia to his December goodwill itinerary of India, the Middle East and Mediterranean nations.

Former General Motor’s President Harlow Curtice shoots and kills a “very dear friend,” retired GM president Harry Anderson in a duck-hunting accident. Apparently, Anderson became excited as a flight of ducks passed over their blind, stepping in front of Curtice as he went to shoot.

Many, many thanks to www.mrpopculture.com for contributing to this section of The News.


Published by JD Carroll