Thursday, February 5, 1959   Vol. C710



East Farewell – Lake Charles has been frozen for almost three weeks now and the ice thickness has been determined to be almost a foot and a half in some areas. There are some areas up in the lagoons that are still too thin to walk on but for the most part the entire lake can be used for recreation. The townspeople wait all year for this to occur and once the ice has passed the tests that the Safety Committee runs to determine ice thickness, strength and flow they flock to the surface clearing ice rinks, erecting fishing huts and this year even building a go-kart race track. The ice hockey games range from structured; almost league status to neighborhood pickup games. The fishing huts have popped up all over the place, reflecting each individuals “perfect” fishing spot. In an interesting social observation several huts have located close to each other forming a kind of village on the ice. This has led to some raucous shenanigans late at night over the weekend.

            It has not been all fun and games, though. The Safety Committee has blocked off large sections of the shoreline in the northern lagoons due to thin ice. In one area two fishermen are reported to have fallen through the ice while trying to haul their fishing hut onto the ice. Also, a group of children had to be herded back to safety when their game of crack-the-whip came too close to a thin ice area. No one was injured in either occurrence.

            The weather forecast for the area is cold, cold, cold with more snow expected next week so the Lake will stay solid for a while. The frozen lake has brought a lot of visitors to the area. Fishermen and hockey players for the most part but figure skaters and lovers of the beautiful scenes have been seen in on the lake as well as the area restaurants. Wherever they are they all seem happy to there. Let the fun continue.

Ice hut community on Lake Charles 1959



East Farewell – The Cougars were able to win a close game against the Central Bears on Friday, 50-48. The game was a rough and tumble, well-played game that came down the last shot to determine the winner. Neither team was able to establish control as the lead went back and forth almost every series with the biggest lead gained by either team when the Cougars led 30-26 at the half. The Bears sophomore center, Stuart Drew was spectacular. He led both teams in scoring with 22, he also snagged 15 rebounds and dished off 13 assists. He came into the game with high ratings and certainly lived up to everyone. The Cougars center, junior James Hawkins had his hands full with the youngster. The two battled under the boards for every rebound and inside shot. Hawkins was able to get a couple of blocks on Drew and end up scoring 20 on his own. The game was billed as a real close matchup with both teams standing near the top of the league and each team had been enjoying a winning streak.

            The game was tied 17 times which may be league record, and as the clock ran down the Cougars had a 2 point lead with 45 seconds left. The Bears in-bounded and took it down court with Bears guard, Bernie Fitzpatrick taking control. He passed it off to Fran Baxter who was able to drop it into Drew who was able to fight off Hawkins, turn and hook the ball in for a score tying the game again. The Bears then put on a press to slow down the Cougars. There was only 23 seconds left and the Cougars called a timeout before the inbounds. They came back with a surprise; Hawkins took the inbounds responsibility forcing Drew to guard him. Hawkins was able to get the ball in to a cutting Bobby Fox who immediately threw it to Don Tasker who was at half court. Tasker was able to pivot and drop the ball into a streaking Mack Mackenzie’s hands who drove by Bears forward Ernie Doyle for the score with only 2 seconds left. The Bears tried a court long inbounds “hail Mary” pass to a running Drew but it was unsuccessful as Drew was unable to get a handle on the wild pass. The clock ran out and the Cougars walked off with a 50-48 win. Both teams met at center court to congratulate each other in a spontaneous exhibition of true sportsmanship. “This was one of the best games, if not the best game of the year. Both teams played their hearts out and really showed how basketball should be played. I really admire Dave (Florence, Bear’s Coach) and wish him all the luck for the rest of the season. I think we play them again but I’m not sure. I look forward to playing them again, maybe in the playoffs,” Cougars Coach Wilson said after the game.

            Next week the Cougars stay home again to host the league leading Corning Devils. This will be a real test for the Cougars. They beat the Devils earlier this season but the Devils have improved as the season moved on. The up side is the Cougars have improved, too. This should be a good game. The game begins on Friday afternoon at 4:30PM in the Regional High Gym.  



On February 3 Buddy Holly, J.P. Richardson and Ritchie Valens perished in a plane crash near Clear Lake, Iowa. The four-plane chartered craft carrying the trio and their pilot crashed within minutes after taking off in light snow from the Mason City airport. Holly, just 22, was from Lubbock, Texas; Valens (17) of Los Angeles and J.P. Richardson (24) was from Beaumont, Texas. Pilot was Roger Peterson (21) of Clear Lake, Iowa. The troupe had appeared and played before about 1,100 teens and their parents and the surf ballroom in Clear Lake. The Beechcraft Bonanza, chartered from the Dwyer Flying Service, was to have taken the three to Fargo, N.D. Authorities blamed bad weather for the crash. Temperature was 18 degrees and a southerly wind was blowing at 35 miles an hour when the plane took off. The plane came down about 5 miles northwest of the airport on the Albert Juhi farm. The plane’s left wing first hit the ground and skidded across the snow for 538 feet. The body of Valens was thrown 40-feet. Richardson and Holly were found 20 feet from the wreckage. The body of pilot Roger Peterson was wedged so tightly in the wreckage, it had to be cut loose with torches. All were not discovered until long after dawn.

For the first time a Titan ICBM missile is fired aloft. Twice before, the Titan ignited and on both occasions, the engine fizzled just before lift-off at Cape Canaveral. The Titan is the first of a new series of “second generation’ rockets and should be more powerful than the present Atlas missiles.

Fidel Castro appears on the February 4 broadcast of CBS’ “Person to Person” with Edward R. Murrow. He and his six-year-old son will be shown in their residence in Havana’s Hilton Hotel.

An underwater break in the 2,000-mile transatlantic telephone cable caused a pile-up of waiting phone-calls between Europe and the United States. The break is believed to be off Newfoundland. An American cable ship is on route to make repairs.

Many, many thanks to www.mrpopculture.com for contributing to this section of The News.


Published by JD Carroll