Lots of people believe that you are one of the luckiest travelers if you have a US passport. I completely disagree (the best passports are definitely Canadian, British, Aussie, and Kiwi). Beyond 90-day tourist visas, you are going to struggle to find a way to be outside of the country for any significant period of time. As it turns out, it is actually quite difficult for US citizens to immigrate anywhere for the simple reason that – wait for it – it is extremely difficult to immigrate to the US. With all the talk of illegal immigration issues you would think that our borders are constantly flooded, but this is quite far from the truth. The regulations are ridiculous: if you even have a layover at a US airport, almost all nationalities need to apply for and pay $160 for a transit visa. This means that with most countries, the long-term visa allowances are a two-way street: if we don’t let them in, they don’t let us in.

1. Canada

To everyone saying, “I’ll just move to Canada,” not so fast. Trust me, I have researched this one extensively. They grant us 180 days visa-free, but you are, of course, not allowed to work. If you want to be able to make a living in Canada, you’ve pretty much got three options: a) study, b) work for an international company with Canadian offices and convince them to transfer you, or c) win the love of a Canadian and get a partner visa. There are exchange-type programs, but most of these have fees and involve a host family and let’s be honest, most Americans are not going to go to Canada if they want a culture shock.

2. Australia

Australia offers a Work and Holiday visa to US citizens between the ages of 18 and 30. It costs about $355 USD and allows you to live, work, and travel anywhere in Australia for up to one year. If you have looked into this at all, you may have heard something about having to do three months of farm work before you can look for another job. The good news: this does not apply to Americans. The bad news: this is because we are only granted a one-year visa. There is another visa called the Working Holiday, which allows a visa-holder to apply for a second year if they complete three months of farm labor, but we are not eligible for it.

Australia is a popular option because of its high minimum wage. I worked myself nearly to death earning above minimum wage and saved $20,000 in just over six months. I recommend saving less money and having a work-life balance. There is no limit to the number of these visas available to US citizens…for now.

3. New Zealand

Mostly the same deal as Australia. The visa is free, probably. If you have been pretty much anywhere that is not the first world for more than three months during the past five years, you will have to get a chest x-ray to prove you do not have tuberculosis. You have to go to a clinic that has been certified by New Zealand Immigration to get this x-ray (there are only three such clinics in the whole state of California), and most of these clinics do not accept insurance, so you’ll end up spending about $300 (hey, it’s still cheaper than Australia). It rains a lot and they speak weird English but Kiwis are some of the nicest people you’ll ever meet.

4. Ireland

Again, a one-year work visa for people ages 18 to 30. This is almost a viable option, with the catch being that you have to currently be enrolled in or in the past twelve months have graduated from some sort of post-secondary institute in order to apply.

5. South Korea

One year Working Holiday visa, 5,000 of them up for grabs to US citizens per year. I personally have never met anyone who has used this visa, nor do I know many people who have been to South Korea, so the details I am able to provide on what this experience might entail are slim to none.

6. Singapore

There are 2,000 Working Holidays visas available for Singapore each year split between nine countries (Australia, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the UK, and the US). You are eligible for this visa if you are between the ages of 18 and 25 and are currently enrolled in or have graduated from university. It allows you to work for up to six months. Singapore does not have a minimum wage, but the average monthly income is around $2500 USD per month.

7. Mexico

Ah, the irony. Although the exact numbers are unknown, there are estimates that about one million US citizens are living in Mexico, both legally and illegally. From a lawful standpoint I do not suggest this, but your options crossing the southern border will be much more flexible. Heck, 48 hours after I crossed the border from Belize I already had a job offer in Tulum (highly recommendable destination) from the only person I have ever met through Tinder. Like our neighbors to the north, Mexico also grants us 180 days without needing a visa, which can be renewed by leaving the country. If you wish to stay longer you can apply for a Temporary Resident visa, which allows you to stay without working provided that you fulfill their financial requirements.

Most of these countries say that you are required to have travel insurance, proof of onward travel, and sufficient funds. You should have travel insurance whenever you leave the country, regardless of the length of time. I use STA, which offers a one-year $99 insurance plan to students and people under 26 and provides great coverage (they returned every penny of my nearly $4000 operation in Ecuador). The only time I have ever been asked for proof of onward travel was entering Panama, where I showed a plane ticket to Florida that I had purchased, immediately canceled, received a full refund for, and just hoped they wouldn’t notice it was invalid. Sufficient funds means a bank statement, which I have only been asked for by New Zealand. This amount varies by country but is usually around $3000 USD.

Hopefully we do not ruin the future of the United States and this post ends up being simply a resource for the adventurous rather than an emergency escape plan. I say this coming from a small island thousands of miles from home: the results of this election will be felt by the entire world.