I feel like I am not like most others that were diagnosed. I suspect they saw all the signs (unlike me); drinking lots of water, excessive weight loss etc. Knowing something wasn’t wrong with them, they all would have headed to the endocrinologist where they were told that their symptoms all lined up with Type 1. There were a few days to think it over before finding out test results and getting the shocking news.

I had all the signs early, losing 15kgs and drinking 6-7L of water a day. In my head, there was nothing wrong. I was going to the gym and losing weight because of it YAY. The excuse I made for the excessive amount of water I drank was that I was dehydrated and not retaining my water consumption. So I drank disgusting iodised salt water. (It didn’t help lol)

I have had period problems for a few years. They are super heavy, last for weeks (maybe an exaggeration), and I get very very bad PMS. I love to read Dr. Libby’s books over and over again she would talk about how your period should be an amazing time to be in sync with your ‘womanly’ self. I could not comprehend, an amazing time? Fuck that! I spent my 2 weeks curled up in bed hugging a heat pack, with chocolate wrappers everywhere hoping no one would talk to me.

It was time to get it checked AGAIN. This was the third doctor I had seen about my period. First, they thought it was just abnormal and I would grow out of it, second, they thought it was PCOS. This meant gynaecologist appointment including getting my cervix scraped on camera. They told me not to look and I did, so stupid of me because that part of the body is so gross.

Finally, a new doctor did some blood tests. She tested my thyroid, hormone levels, and just as a precaution, diabetes. I didn’t even consider while waiting for my results it would be diabetes. No way could it be diabetes, my thyroid or hormones are just playing up and it will be an easy fix.

It wasn’t until I got the phone call from the diabetes clinic in Hamilton that it kind of sunk in. They summoned me to the emergency department that night with a hba1c (blood glucose level) of 183 and a ketone level off the chart. I rang mum and dad and the drove up to Waikato Hospital the next day.

I spent the night in my hospital bed listening to snoring, reading my book and texting my partner all night. The doctors hadn’t confirmed anything, instead just pumped me with insulin while waiting for the diabetic nurse to come and tell me the “great” news.

I left the hospital the following afternoon with a bag full of gear; pamphlets, 2 insulin injection pens, insulin cartridges, blood glucose monitor, glucose strips, ketone pee strips, needles, and a lot of knowledge thrown at me.

I remember thinking “What’s the big deal? People are dying of cancer, all I have is diabetes!”

Two weeks in it all hit me at once. Why me? What did I do? Did I not eat healthily? Should I not have done the lift+ and Maccas diet? I could not comprehend why I have to prick myself every two hours, why I have to inject myself daily, why I have to do this for the rest of my life! I have never had health issues before, why all of a sudden did I have to go and get a serious autoimmune disease?

August 17th will always be a part of me know, my diaversary. I can't change it so instead I just need to embrace the needles and injections and never know what is going to be around the corner. 

Love always,



Published by Samantha Northcott