You have travelled to New York and San Francisco and you have visited Grand Canyon, Yellowstone National Park and Disneyland. Now, you think of boarding a jet charter and enjoying a refreshing trip in a less known place in USA. Are you wondering where to go? Take a look at these 10 best lesser known US attractions.
1. Hawaii, the Big Island: Hawaii is about eye-soothing virgin beaches and volcanoes erupting hot burning lava straight into the sea. Hawaii is spectacular in all regards. Apart from natural wonders, don't forget to explore local markets and local culture which is so different from mainland US.
2. The French Quarter New Orleans: If you want to immerse in a culture trip looking French and smelling antique jazz straight out of 50’s, there's no better place than the French Quarter of the New Orleans. The houses draped in French style courtyard gardens and decorations and the nightclubs and pubs playing jazz and serving cocktails will transport you to a different world.
3. Grand Teton National Park Jackson Hole, Wyoming: The Grand Teton National Park offers a journey into an unperturbed nature decked with spectacular mountain views, too many rugged trails, snow-capped peaks and pristine blue alpine lakes. It also offers a rich reserve of wildlife including bison, moose and coyotes.
4. Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve, Colorado: Sand dunes are something that travelers seldom expect to encounter here in US. But, this Great Sand Dunes National Park located in Colorado offers spectacular sand dunes for visual treat and also to experience sand sledding and sandboarding on horseback.
5. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City: This museum boasting of the richest treasure of world’s famous modern artworks can be the single reason to visit US. Experiencing masterworks of greatest artists such as Picasso, Renoir, Van Gogh, Goya, Cézanne, Degas and many others is an unforgettable memory for any visitor.
6. Portland, Maine: Many considers it to the most scenic coastline in US. A smooth and serene coastline, old boutique houses with red bricks and streets made up of rustic cobblestone takes you to a world transfixed in time. Don't miss the experience of having superb sea views along the Eastern Prom Trail.
7. The Narrows, Zion National Park, Utah: Do you want to experience some spectacular hiking trail this vacation? Without a second thought come to this national park in Utah. The Narrows, the sandstone gorge which flows through 2,000- to 3,000-foot-high canyon walls offers spectacular views.
8. Mendenhall Glacier, Juneau, Alaska: Alaska is full of natural wonders draped in snow but nothing equals the beauty of Mendenhall Glacier located in southeast Alaska, just close to the Juneau town. This is unique because of its accessibility through nature trails unlike other glaciers in US.
9. Redwood National Park, California: If you are a nature lover, the stunning 350-foot-tall sequoia trees sprawling across the entire Redwood National Park will be something to experience. Apart from entering the forestry paths, taking a spectacular 9-mile long Coastal Drive through a narrow path overlooking the Pacific and the national park on both sides will give you some unforgettable memories.
10. Alcatraz Island, San Francisco: This small island across the San Francisco Bay and the Golden Gate Bridge looks like a tiny dot surrounded by the water. This small island which once used to be a prison for most deadly criminals just delivers some spectacular views of the San Francisco and the Pacific coast.
Published by Erika Rhea