The MINI Cooper SE is the first all-electric model from the iconic British brand, offering a fun and eco-friendly driving experience. But what if you want more than just fun? What if you want to spice up your electric ride with sporty flair and performance enhancements? Well, you’re in luck because MINI has just introduced the new JCW Trim for the Cooper SE, which adds various features and options to make your electric hot hatch stand out from the crowd.
What is the JCW Trim?
The JCW Trim is a new package you can add to the Cooper SE as a factory option or retrofit accessory. JCW stands for John Cooper Works, the legendary tuning house associated with MINI since the 1960s. JCW models are the most powerful and dynamic versions of MINI cars, and they usually come with a range of upgrades to the engine, suspension, brakes, and aerodynamics.
However, since the MINI Cooper SE is an electric car, the JCW Trim does not affect its powertrain or performance. The Cooper SE still has a single electric motor that delivers 181 horsepower and 199 lb-ft of torque, and it can accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in 6.9 seconds and reach a top speed of 93 mph. The JCW Trim also does not change the battery capacity or the driving range of the Cooper SE, which is rated at 110 miles by the EPA.
So, what does the JCW Trim do, then? It adds a host of cosmetic and functional enhancements to the exterior and interior of the Cooper SE, giving it a more aggressive and sporty look and feel. Here are some of the features and options that the JCW Trim offers:
- A new front bumper with larger air intakes and a honeycomb grille
- A new rear bumper with a diffuser and a central fog light
- A new rear spoiler with a third brake light
- A new side sill with JCW logos
- A new wheel design in 17-inch or 18-inch sizes, with a two-tone finish and run-flat tires
- A choice of eight exterior colors, including Chili Red, Island Blue, and British Racing Green
- A choice of three contrast colors for the roof and mirror caps, including black, white, and silver
- JCW badges on the front grille, side scuttles, and tailgate
- Optional adaptive LED headlights with matrix function and Union Jack design
- Optional panoramic sunroof
- A new sports steering wheel with JCW logo and red stitching
- A new gear selector with the JCW logo and red stitching
- A new digital instrument cluster with JCW-specific graphics and displays
- A new door sill with the JCW logo and illumination
- A new anthracite headliner
- A choice of three upholstery options, including leather, cloth, and Dinamica (a synthetic suede material)
- A choice of three interior trim options, including Piano Black, Silver Chequered, and Chili Red
- JCW floor mats and pedals
- Optional heated front seats
- Optional head-up display
- Optional Harman Kardon sound system
- Optional wireless charging pad
How Much Does It Cost?
The JCW Trim is available for the Cooper SE as a factory option or as a retrofit accessory. The factory option costs $3,000 and includes the exterior and interior features listed above, except for the optional ones. The retrofit accessory costs $4,500 and includes the same features, plus the adaptive LED headlights, the panoramic sunroof, and the Harman Kardon sound system.
The base price of the Cooper SE is $29,900, which means that adding the JCW Trim will bring the total cost to $32,900 or $34,400, depending on whether you choose the factory option or the retrofit accessory. However, you may be eligible for some federal and state incentives that can lower the price of the Cooper SE. For example, the Cooper SE qualifies for a $7,500 federal tax credit, which can reduce the effective price to $22,400 or $23,900, respectively.
Is It Worth It?
The JCW Trim is a great way to add some spice and style to your Cooper SE, especially if you are a fan of the MINI brand and its heritage. The JCW Trim gives the Cooper SE a more distinctive and dynamic appearance, and it also enhances the driving experience with a sportier steering wheel, gear selector, and instrument cluster. The JCW Trim also adds some comfort and convenience features, such as the sunroof, the sound system, and the wireless charging pad.
However, the JCW Trim does not improve the performance or the range of the Cooper SE, which are two of the most important factors for many electric car buyers. The Cooper SE is already a fun and agile car, but it is not very fast or powerful compared to some of its rivals, such as the Hyundai Kona Electric, the Chevrolet Bolt EV, or the Tesla Model 3. The Cooper SE also has a relatively short driving range of 110 miles, which may not be enough for some drivers who need more flexibility and versatility.
Therefore, the JCW Trim is best suited for drivers who value the design and the character of the Cooper SE more than its practicality and efficiency. The JCW Trim is a way to express your personality and your passion for MINI, and it can make your Cooper SE stand out from the crowd. If you are looking for an electric hot hatch with style and substance, the JCW Trim may be the perfect option. @via Zateza.
Published by Flo Rin