Before installing Windows XP, you must format your hard drive using the Windows XP Setup software. www.office.com/setup
Steps before partitioning and formatting a hard drive
Before you format and partition the hard drive, there are some steps you should follow. These steps are listed below.
Set up the hard drive according to the instructions of the manufacturer
SATA hard drives are required to be used by those who use it. Those who use an IDE hard drive must lay the jumpers and cabling as per the task and make any necessary BIOS (or CMOS!) changes.
Select the type of file system you want
You can use NTFS to set up your hard drive. However, you should not use NTFS if you are using an older version of Windows that cannot read NTFS partitions.
How to format and partition a hard drive using Windows XP Setup
These are the steps to follow for formatting and partitioning the hard drive using Windows XP's setup program:
To be used for partitioning:
- In order to install Windows XP CD, insert it into the CD/DVD slot.You can also insert the Windows XP Setup disc in the floppy drive. After that, restart the computer to start the Windows XP Setup program.
- Start the computer using the CD/DVD drive.
- Sometimes, the hard drive controller may require a third-party OEM driver.To indicate the driver, you will need to use F6 key.
- You will now be able see the "Welcome To Setup" page.To continue, press "Enter".
- If Windows XP is already installed, the computer will prompt you to repair it.You can also press the ESC key to stop it from being reinstalled.
- Programming is done for all partitions, including those that are not partitioned. To select an existing partition, you can use the arrow keys. A non-partitioned area can be used to create a new partition. You can create a new partition using non-partitioned spaces by pressing the C key once.
- To create the largest partition possible, press "Enter".To determine the partition size, type in megabytes and then press "Enter".
To format the hard drive and install Windows XP,
- To install Windows XP, you will need to choose the partition.You can use the arrow keys to help you. After selecting the option, press "Enter" to execute the command.
- Choose the option to format your partition.You can choose from the NTFS, FAT, and FAT file systems. It is best to keep the existing file system as it is.
- The command will be executed by pressing "Enter".
- The Windows Setup program will now format the partition.Follow the instructions to install Windows XP. Windows XP will be successfully installed by restarting your computer.
Back up your data
All data on the computer will be erased by formatting and partitioning a hard drive. These data will be permanently deleted so it is important to have a backup of all data. office.com/myaccount
Published by graceedens