Managing blood sugar levels is what one needs to live well with diabetes & avoid complications borne from it.
A healthful diet plan for diabetes management is one such resource that can help you get there.
With that said, a diet plan largely depends on age, type of diabetes, physical activity, and type of medication you are on. Hence, it is essential to consult a nutritionist to select the right foods that help you counter high sugar levels.
There are the best diabetic diet plans out there that you can look for diabetes management. Some of them are listed below.
A Mediterranean diet helps decrease fasting glucose levels and reduces body weight. It comes from the traditional foods from the Mediterranean countries, which constitute plenty of fresh produce, seasonal food, heart-healthy like olive oil, making it one of the favored choices for people with diabetes.
A vegan or plant-based diet excludes all animal-based foods. That doesn't mean the diet can't be nutritious. Plant-based foods are high in fiber, antioxidants, minerals, and polyphenols that make sure you meet your nutritional needs. If you have diabetes, a healthy vegan diet may help you manage your blood sugar levels more than other diabetes diets & boost your mood too. A healthy vegan diet should include whole foods & less processed foods like Fruits, Vegetables, green leafy vegetables, legumes, whole grain bread, brown rice, nuts & seeds, soy products like milk, tofu, etc.
Although nutritional experts suggest this diet to people with diabetes, a traditional DASH diet can turn out to be low in fat and too high in carbohydrates for them. A DASH diet includes some sweets too. If you wish to follow a DASH diet, make sure to lower your carb intake, add more unsaturated fats through foods like oils, nuts, & seeds, and cut on the sugar consumption to control your blood sugar levels. A DASH diet can also help improve insulin sensitivity if practiced with exercise.
Apart from these recommended diets, you can manage your sugar levels with a calorie-restricted diet. Following is a sample of a diet plan for high sugar patients.
Calorie Count: 1200-1600 per day
● Early Morning: fenugreek seed infused water with 4-6 soaked almonds
● Breakfast: 1 cup green tea, two egg whites cooked as per your preference with brown bread/ 2 whole wheat paratha with curd & a bowl of sprouts/ 2 moong dal chilla with a boiled egg
● Mid Morning: 1 bowl of garden salad or seasonal fruit with low GI or fresh vegetable/fruit juice
● Lunch: 2 chapatis with dal, vegetable curry, rajma or chole & yogurt/ 2 chapatis, baked fish & 1 curry of your choice & 1 bowl of yogurt
● Evening Snacks: green tea with roasted chana or puffed rice or any home-baked good made with less or no sugar
● Dinner: 2 medium-sized whole grain chapati with 1 cup of vegetable curry & a cup of dal or paneer
● Bedtime: 1 cup warm milk with a teaspoon of turmeric or a pinch of cinnamon powder
A look into some of the diabetes-friendly recipes
● Makhana Kheer (Sugar-Free): High in protein and calcium, it is a delicious diabetic-free dessert.
Low-fat milk: 1 lt
Makhana or fox nuts: 1/4 cup
Finely chopped dates 3-4
Chopped pistachios (optional) 1 tsp
Chopped almonds (optional) 2 tsp
Green cardamom crushed: 2
1. Dry roast the makhanas until crisp
2. Cool them completely and grind coarsely in a grinder.
3. Take a pan, add milk & boil.
4. Once the milk boils, add chopped dates & crushed makhana. Mix well & cook for 5-10 mins while stirring occasionally.
5. Add in the dry fruits and serve. You can have it warm or cold as per the wish.
● Sweet Potato Chaat: Sweet potato is one of the most top choices when it comes to diabetes. This tangy & savoury dish is perfect for your evening snack.
½ kg Sweet potato
1 tsp chaat masala
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp rock salt
For crunch, add in cucumber or pear (optional)
Mix all the ingredients together well and adjust the spices according to your taste & serve.
● Methi, Ragi, & Jowar Thalipeeth: It's a wholesome recipe packed with nutrition. Ragi having low GI & fenugreek leaves having high soluble fiber helps maintain proper sugar levels. The best part, you can have it in your breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
1 cup Methi Leaves
1 finely chopped onion
2 finely chopped green chilies
1/2 cup Jowar Flour
1/2 cup Ragi Flour or Finger Millet
1/2 cup besan
1 tsp Red Chilli powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
2 tsp Coriander Powder
1 tsp cumin powder
Oil to smear
Salt to taste
Lukewarm water to knead the dough
1. Wash & chop Methi leaves and keep them aside.
2. Take a mixing bowl and all the ingredients mentioned above except water.
3. Now add the water to the ingredients slowly and knead a tight dough.
4. Divide the dough into equal parts and prepare dough balls (it world make approx 8)
5. Put the skillet/tawa on medium heat while you roll out the thalipeeth dough.
6. Place one dough ball on a greased butter paper and pat it on all sides to shape it like a chapati. Now prick the thalipeeth with a fork or a knife so it will cook properly.
7. Transfer the thalipeeth to the Tawa and cook from both sides.
8. Serve this nutritious thalipeeth with yogurt.
The food can assist in the recovery of people with diabetes, rather than being an obstacle or something you have to negotiate.
You can manage diabetes well with the right diet plan for sugar patients. Your doctor or dietitian can also help you develop a manageable diet plan according to your health and lifestyle.
Published by Healthy Life