Losing weight is highly beneficial, but when people lose a lot of weight or too quickly, loose skin often results. Many people with loose skin feel embarrassed about their appearance. Are there ways to get rid of loose skin outside of surgery? Keep reading to find out.
What Causes Loose Skin After Weight Loss?
Skin is the largest organ of the body and is highly important for a person's health because it is the gatekeeper. Many people use body firming cream to help reduce their unwanted loose skin.
The skin is made up of different layers, with the innermost layer containing protein, elastin, and collagen. Collagen provides strength to the skin, while elastin makes it elastic.
During weight gain, the skin can expand greatly to accommodate the greater mass. When the skin stays stretched for a long time, collagen becomes damaged, and the skin lacks its ability to spring back.
When people lose weight, they sometimes face loose skin, especially if a person has lost a significant amount of weight. When people lose a lot of weight, after being overweight for a long time, they may experience hanging skin, especially in the upper arms and abdomen areas.
Factors That Will Determine If Someone Gets Loose Skin
There are a few factors that will determine if someone gets loose skin after weight loss. Consider the following to determine the risks of developing loose skin.
- How long has the person been overweight? The most significant factor affecting whether a person gets loose skin is the length of time they have been overweight.
- How much weight does the person need to lose? If someone needs to lose over 100 pounds, for instance, they are more likely to suffer loose skin afterward.
- How old is the person? Those who are older are more likely to experience loose skin.
- Genetics can also play a role in a person developing loose skin.
- Too much sun exposure through the years can alter the collagen of the skin. Those who have had many sunburns are more likely to develop loose skin.
- Smokers are also more likely to experience loose skin.
Natural Ways to Reduce Loose Skin
There are natural remedies to tighten loose skin and help improve its appearance. Try the following to see improvements.
- Resistance training has been shown helpful in reducing loose skin by increasing muscle mass.
- Taking a collagen supplement can help firm up the skin in areas where it is loose.
- Proper hydration and a nutrition-dense diet are both important for firming the skin during and after weight loss.
- Many firming creams contain collagen and elastin which can both be beneficial in helping tighten the skin.
Learn More Today
Trying the above remedies can be beneficial in helping people overcome loose skin, but all of them take time to work. Individuals cannot expect to see results overnight.
Losing weight takes time, and so does overcoming loose skin. Over time, the body will sometimes respond, and the skin's composition will improve.
Ideally, individuals should consider using a body cream throughout their weight loss journey and should take the steps above. By making a concerted effort, you can slowly improve the appearance of loose skin and possibly avoid surgical procedures that can be risky.
Loose skin does not have to be a plague. Try the treatment options above to see how they work for you.
Published by Hector Collins