Like many Australian households, you might be fancying the idea of annexing your home and building a granny flat in your backyard or garden. It’s natural to be inquisitive about the legalities, considering the existing laws in your state. In the first place, it’s imperative to measure your back garden and determine the available space. Next, you can reach out to the experts for building granny flat Sydney for the construction. Once you know the regulatory norms, you can confidently apply for the annexure.
Is it possible to use your back garden to build a granny flat Sydney?
The short answer is yes.
In case you own a property or have taken it on the mortgage, you can use your back garden to build a granny flat. However, you need to approach the concerned authorities to obtain the permission at the outset. With the basics right, there shouldn’t be any issues while you build your granny flat.
However, if you live in a rented property, you need to discuss the matter with your landlord. Any modification in the property structure requires the nod of the legal owner. In these cases, you may or may not get the permission of building a granny flat.
Obtaining the approval to build your granny flat
Australians habitually reach out to the concerned authorities to obtain approval and build a granny flat. However, for homeowners in Sydney, there’s a strategic advantage! You need not undergo the lengthy and time-consuming process of obtaining permission to build a granny flat. Evidently, the biggest hurdle is gone from your path, and you can simply construct the granny flat.
However, homeowners in Sydney need to fulfill the minimum standards of construction before they proceed. You need to approach the council and seek accreditation on the basis of your proposed plans. This ensures that the construction would fulfill some basic standards as per the State Environmental Planning Policy. This isn’t a long and painstaking process, and you can obtain the accreditation in a month’s time.
Criteria to fulfil before constructing granny flats Sydney
· The basic policies are easy to adhere to, as the authorities would require you to have at least 450 square meters of space. Evidently, the regulations are simple indeed to facilitate the construction of granny flats in Sydney.
· Moreover, your back garden should be a part of a residential property, not a commercial space. There should be a width of 12 meters for the granny flat at the main property’s building line.
· Besides, the authorities require the property owners to have a space of at least 3 meters between the flat and the rear of your garden.
· There should be a gap of 0.9 meters between the edges of your premise and the granny flat.
· If there are existing trees in the garden, build the granny flat at least 3 meters away from the ones taller than 4 meters.
· The authorities allow homeowners to build only one flat per eligible block on the premise.
When you reach out to established granny flat builders like 5 Star Granny Flats, the professionals will brief you on the existing regulations in your state. Working closely with experienced builders, you can make the most of your available space in the back garden. Feel free to call us on 1300 843 921.
Published by Jignesh Prajapati