Kelly Slater - USA has won the Billabong Pro Tahiti after defeating John John Florence - Hawaii in the final in eight to ten foot surf at Teahupo'o. The final day of the contest which is stop number 7 of 11 on the Samsung Gallaxy World Surf League Championship Tour. This event has been treated to incredible performances by the world's best surfers, culminating with Slater's win. The final day saw 35 tube rides ridden between the two finalists, in what was a tube riding shootout.
11 time World Surf League Champion Kelly Slater claimed his 55th World Tour Victory of his career to jump 11 places on the Jeep leader board to 8th. The win today is Slater's fifth in Tahiti with previous titles in 2000, 2003, 2005 and 2011 which solidifies his position as one of the best surfer's at Teahupo'o.
The next stop on the 2016 Samsung Galaxy World Surf League Championship Tour will be the Hurley Pro and Swatch women's pro at Trestles Beach in California.
The Billabong Pro Tahiti Final Results.
1. Kelly Slater USA 19.67 points
2. John John Florence Hawaii 15.23 points
2016 WSL Jeep Men's Leaderboard Top 5 After Tahiti Event
1. John John Florence Hawaii, 39,900 points
2. Matt Wilkinson Australia, 36,000 points
3. Gabriel Medina Brazil, 35,700 points
4. Adrian Buchan Australia, 26,200 points
5. Julian Wilson Australia, 25,200 points
Published by Julian Groom