To make it through a last-minute move with ease, careful planning is key. When it comes to a short-notice move, time is your number one enemy. In order to defeat this enemy, you will need a good strategy to increase your chance of enjoying a relatively stress-free relocation.
A last-minute move is never an ideal situation. But if it’s something you cannot avoid, there are a few things you can do to ensure everything is packed and ready to go before the movers come in.
If you only have a few days available, here are 4 steps that will help ensure your move goes as smoothly as possible:
Panicking over a short-notice move will do you no good.
As much as possible, try to remain calm so that you can have full focus on the moving tasks at hand. The faster you accept that you have limited time at your disposal, the better you can handle the situation to the best of your capabilities.
Don’t allow panic to get a hold of your golden opportunity to move to a new place. Panicked decisions will only create further problems, so stay calm and start packing quickly but efficiently.
Create a moving calendar that includes all the specific goals that you can accomplish within the timeframe you have left.
Make sure that you prioritise moving tasks according to significance and difficulty. Moreover, don’t forget to set a moving budget so that you won’t end up spending more than what is appropriate due to time constraints.
When it comes to relocation, packing your belongings is undoubtedly the most time-consuming task. But no matter how short your time is, don’t lose hope.
These tips will help you pack in a hurry:
- Stop pondering upon how much time you have left and start packing immediately. The moment you learn about your move, initiate the packing process and don’t procrastinate.
- Cut back on your possessions. The fewer items to pack, the less time it will take to prepare them for the move. Moreover, this can be an added bonus as it will cut down your moving cost.
- Know what you shouldn’t pack. Ask your removal company what items aren’t allowed to be moved for safety reasons. These items usually include hazardous materials, perishable goods and personal possessions. You may need to handle their transport yourself.
- Get enough packing materials. Buy boxes and packing supplies such as packing paper, permanent markers (for labelling), bubble wrap, packing tape, etc. Make sure you have enough packing supplies so that you can pack easily and quickly.
- Take a picture of your belongings before packing. You may not have enough time to create a detailed inventory of your items. Your pictures will serve as proof of the condition of your belongings before you entrusted them to the removalists.
- Set aside essential items. Save everything you will need for the first few days in your new place. Make sure your essential items aren’t mixed up with your other belongings so that you won’t waste time later opening already packed boxes.
Another alternative to save time and energy is to hire professional packers to get the job done.
With their skills and expertise, they will be able to finish packing in a shorter amount of time. There are different options available for you – from a full service option that includes packing and unpacking to simply just packing a few special items.
By hiring a reliable moving company, you can save yourself a lot of trouble. Professional removalists will handle the entire moving process with speed, efficiency and safety.
Get a quick removal quote so that you can decide right away if the price is right and have spare time to arrange for other imminent moving tasks.
When you hire a removal company, make sure to choose from among licenced movers, compare rates and conditions, then pick out one that suits your moving needs best.
Although a house move is a tedious and time-consuming task, working with a reliable company will smoothen the process and ensure that everything is done right.
A last-minute move doesn’t have to be as stressful as you thought it would be.
Since time is of the essence, be as straightforward as you can with your move and hire a removal service if you think it will make things easier for you.
Besides getting professional moving help, you may also want to book a housekeeper to ensure your new place is clean and ready once you arrive in your new place.
Robert Wise, Sales Administration Manager at Nuss Removals, has been a respected figure in the removals industry for over 20 years. His attention to detail and the ability to truly understand the needs of the customer have ensured the successful relocation of thousands of satisfied individuals and families. For moving and storage across Australia and around the world, Robert's wealth of experience ensures his customers are in safe hands.
Published by Justin Jersey