What is pneumonia?
Pneumonia is an infection caused by micro-organisms like fungi, virus, and bacteria. It is when one or both the lungs are inflamed and gets filled with pus or fluid. This may also cause fever, cough or breathing problem. This infection also has different warning levels and range from being mild to life risk. It is very serious in the case of babies and children and adults who are above the age of sixty-five. It is also very dangerous for people who have a weak immune system and people who have problems regarding health.
This infection can be caused by a number of germs. The main culprit being the viruses and the bacteria that are present in the air we inhale. Our body is made up in a way that it is capable to fight against these disease-causing microorganisms. But there are times when the immune system falls weak and cannot stop these germs from entering our bodies. This then causes pneumonia.
There are different types of pneumonia and all these types are differentiated from each other by the organisms that cause it. Also, it is differentiated according to the area which is infected. There are mainly four different types of pneumonia, namely, community-acquired pneumonia, hospital-acquired pneumonia, aspiration pneumonia, and healthcare-acquired pneumonia.
Symptoms of pneumonia
There are certain symptoms that can assure you that someone is affected by the infection. These symptoms may vary from low or minimum to maximum or severe. It depends on the germ that has caused it. The main symptom is a cold or flu that stays for a longer period of time. The following are some of the signs of someone affected from pneumonia: -
• A breathing problem or frequent breathing.
• Pain in the chest during coughing or breathing.
• People who belong to the age group of sixty-five and above may lose mental awareness or may always be at confusion.
• Shaking chills, excess amount of sweat and/ or fever.
• Diarrhea, nausea or vomiting.
• An excessively low temperature of the body as compared to normal and this usually happens in people who are sixty-five years of age or above.
There are usually no to some symptoms in the newborn babies. They might have a high fever or may cough a lot or even can vomit. So, it is recommended to keep them under the supervision of doctor more often.
The Methods Of Avoiding Pneumonia
There are obviously some methods to prevent the infection. The most commonly used way is having antibiotic medicines only if suggested by your doctor. The following are some of the methods of preventing pneumonia: -
• The first thing is to get vaccinated. It does not matter in which age group you belong, with the improvement in technology and medicines, people from every age group can have vaccines. But before taking one it is very important to consult with your doctor.
• The second and another important thing is to get your children vaccinated. There are different vaccines for pneumonia for children from different age groups. It is very important to get your child vaccinated if he or she has a weaker immune system that the others of their age.
• It is very important for you and your family to maintain good and proper hygiene. Always wash your hands with sanitizer to keep it clean.
• It is recommended to people who smoke to avoid smoking as it breaks down and damages the main system of your lungs that fight against these foreign germs that cause such a life-threatening disease like pneumonia.
• Another important thing that should be done is to eat healthy food and get ample of sleep so that your immune system stays unaffected and help your body to fight against germs that cause serious diseases.
• Nowadays, there is a great use of antibiotic medicines that are recommended by doctors to heal the infection of pneumonia. Augmentin antibiotic medicine is one such medicine used to treat pneumonia.
The Alternative Remedies To Antibiotics
There is no such remedy till now that is able to prevent people from having pneumonia or the germs that cause it. But there are certain ways that can help you fight with the symptoms that if ignored may lead to something serious. These remedies are: -
• The first and the most important of all is to get proper rest.
• Second thing is to ignore and stop smoking. It not only damages the lungs but also causes other serious incurable medical conditions.
• Excessive use of alcohol is dangerous. It will break down the immune system and cause other life-threatening diseases as well.
• Always consider healthy food in your diet (warm liquid food can also help).
• Including vitamin C can also help you to fight against the symptoms.
Published by M Yousuf