It's no secret that I love a good tv show, add some cute guys and a powerful female character and I'm probably going to binge watch the entire season in like 2 days. The next 5 tv shows are some of my obsessions, and I'm sure you'll be hooked after you start watching them.
1. Vikings. Set in medieval Scandinavia, the show follows Ragnar Lothbrok, his friends and family through a series of viking expeditions to England. This show is part fiction part historical, and it's based on actual people and norse tales. It's filmed in Ireland so expect beautiful scenery, the wardrobe and makeup it's fantastic (specially the girls' hair styles) and it has the perfect balance of drama, mystery, fighting and love. All the actors in the show are gorgeous looking and talented, the female characters are strong and independent... Huge fan of Lagertha!!
* Watch it if you like: Game of Thrones, Spartacus
2. Outlander. Claire and his husband Jack are on their second honeymoon in Scotland after WWII. One afternoon Claire goes exploring to some ancient ruins, suddenly she travels through time 200 before in the Scottish Highlands. There she meets Jamie and other highlanders who become her new family, but will she be able to go back to Jack, or does she want to go back? Again, expect beautiful scenery and a mix of adventure and love. I'm obsessed with Claire, she's smart, brave, strong and beautiful. You'll probably end up loving her as much as you'll love Jamie.
*Watch it if you like: Game of Thrones, The Tudors
3. Jessica Jones. Based on the Marvel comics of the same name, the Netflix show follows Jessica, a former superhero turned private detective in New York City, as she tries to rebuild her life and recover from a dark past. Jessica is relatable and independent, she's not your typical superhero but more like a normal girl who has been through a lot and has managed to adapt to her new life. You'll probably already heard about this show, I'm not a huge fan of superheroes but Jessica definitely lives up to the hype and makes you want to keep watching. BTW, still waiting for season 2!
*The Flash, Daredevil, Alias
4. Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries. Imagine a single woman living in Melbourne in the 1920s. She's adventurous, likes men, beautiful and smart, she has a car and she's a feminist. Oh, and she's also a lady-detective. What do you get? Miss Pryne Fisher. She helps the Melbourne police department solving crimes that appear to be complete mysteries without losing style and with a gun in hand. This show is funny, and clever, with a bit of mystery and a love story, while still paying attention to the crime solving.
*Watch it if you like: Castle, Call the Midwife
5. Gilmore Girls. Ok, this is not a new show but honestly, it's never a bad time for a Gilmore Girls marathon. Lorelai and Rory are funny, smart and ambitious women who love coffee and talk fast. What's not to love? Also it's a good time to watch the show again since the Netflix revival is coming soon!
*Watch this if you like: Just watch it!!!
The Last Kingdom: Uhtred was just an english boy when he saw his father being killed by the Danes (a.k.a. Vikings), he was taken prisoner by them and later became a son to Earl Ragnar. Years go by and he becomes a warrior but one night his home is deliberately set on fire, killing his family. He's believed to be guilty so he exiles and wants to recover his homeland. It'll be a long way and he must choose between his birth country and the people who raised him. This show is my latest obsession, it's so good you won't be able to stop watching.
*Watch this if you like: Vikings, Game of Thrones
Let me know what do you think of this or which ones are your personal favorites!
Published by Maribel Elguero