Despite constant efforts by the government and several non-government organizations, people with disabilities have a hard time finding employment. They do not have the same access to opportunities as does a normal person. To make these people job-ready and to ensure they have access to more employment opportunities, they need to be provided with handicap job training. Such training will equip them with all the necessary skills they need to have an excelling career and an excellent job.
Job-oriented training programs for persons with disabilities can greatly benefit them. Here are some of these benefits :-
- Meaningful Participation- The training will help disabled people overcome the hurdles they face looking for jobs and will equip them with all the necessary skills that’ll ensure they are contributing to the growth of the organization.
- Improved Motivation- Most of the time people with disabilities don’t apply for a particular job because they are aware of the prejudice they might face in the workplace. The training builds their confidence and motivates them to look for work.
- Skill Development- One of the most important advantages of these training programs is that they equip the differently-abled people with various employability skills that help them in bagging the job that they desire. Other than employability skills, these programs also help in building social skills.
- Personal Development- Improved social skills help in personal development that improves the quality of their life and contributes to better relationships with other human beings.
- Improved Self- employment outcomes- For being self-employed, a person needs to possess good entrepreneurial skills and business skills. With proper training, these skills can be developed. A good training program for disabled people will help them in building these skills.
There is no doubt that training programs can help in bringing out the best in people with disabilities. But there are several things that we need to keep in mind to ensure the success of these programs-
- Affordable Training- Not everyone can afford expensive training programs. It’s imperative to provide affordable training programs so that everyone can reap the benefits and enjoy a decent quality of life.
- Spread Awareness About the Programs- It is very important for people to be aware of these programs so that the people who need these programs can benefit from them.
- Support Participants in Accessing Job Opportunities and Various Schemes- After finishing the training, the institutes should support the participant by helping them access various job opportunities. For this, the institutes can collaborate/partner with various organizations that give people with disability a fair chance to live a normal life just like every other person. This will make these programs more effective and sustainable.
There are various organizations that are working for the welfare of people with disabilities and providing them with the necessary training. One such organization is Tech Mahindra Foundation.
TMF is a CSR vision of Tech Mahindra Limited that has been empowering the youth of the nation with education. It was set up in the year 2007 and since then has helped lakhs of people throughout the country achieve their goals.
Empowering people with disabilities has been one of their key areas of focus since their inception. The organization has been relentlessly working to ensure social inclusion and equal opportunities for people with disabilities.
The SMART+ program was launched by Tech Mahindra Foundation in 2013 with the aim of providing disabled people training that will ensure they get equal job opportunities and are socially included in all spheres of life. The program aims at skills development. Its curriculum is specially designed to meet the needs of people with disabilities.
The program focuses on three foundation skills namely basic IT and computers, spoken English, and workplace readiness. These foundation skills are the prerequisite for every job today. Other than foundation skills, the program also consists of several sector-specific skills that focus on a particular sector and prepare the candidate for seeking employment there.
With the right training, differently-abled people can achieve great heights in their life. One thing that they need to achieve this greatness is empathy from the people, the right to be treated just like everyone else. Next time you watch a differently-abled person, make sure you treat them right and don’t hold any prejudice against them.
Published by neha naayar