You guys are probably not going to like this article. I can't say I blame you. It's probably going to sound like I'm whining (and nobody likes a whiner) but I need to get this off my chest. I'm sure that I do things to annoy other people, and I don't want to come across as perfect by any means. That is why, today, I included an explanation, hopefully they aren't too rude, for each one. They probably are though, so I'll just apologize right now if I offend you.
1. Nicknames. I despise being called by anything except my given name. There are a few people who are allowed to use such terms of endearment, but the list is small. My husband didn't even make the list, just so you know.
2. Being told that my quietness will be changed. I've got 28 years experience that says it won't.
3. Being talked over. This is not a way to get me to talk more. Quite the opposite in fact.
4. Being asked a question and then ignored. I hate it when people ask "how are you?" and then they walk away. Also, does not encourage me to talk more.
5. Talking to me while I'm reading. I like to read. I can't do it when you're talking to me.
6. Using outside voices when inside. I keep to myself most of the time. I'm usually thinking about a story idea or working out a problem that I'm dealing with. Or I'm reading. I really don't want to be distracted by your conversation on the other side of the room.
7. Not covering your mouth when you cough. This is just gross.
8. Asking me when my husband and I are going to have a baby. This is really only between him, myself and God. And you aren't one of the three.
9. Invading my bubble. This makes me extremely uncomfortable, please stay over there.
10. Spelling my name wrong. My mother decided to spell my name different. I actually like how she chose to spell it (even though I give her a hard time about it). I try my hardest to make sure that I spell your name right, so the least you can do is to ask me how to spell mine.
Thanks for letting me vent. What are some of your pet peeves?
Published by Nichole Quade