Medical lab technicians are specialized professionals that form an important part of the healthcare system. The most common duties of a medical lab technician include collecting and storing samples and creating reports by analyzing them. They are also responsible for maintaining the laboratory equipment and managing biomedical waste. To become a certified medical lab technician, you have to pursue a diploma course from a recognized institute. You can choose to pursue a DMLT course which is a diploma course in medical lab technologies directly after completing class 12th.
What you will learn
During the course of your training as a medical lab technician, you will learn several important techniques. This includes diagnosis, treatment and prevention of various health conditions. The students are trained in the handling and maintenance of various types of laboratory equipment. The curriculum of this course includes the following-
- Blood banking
- Biomedical waste management
- Clinical biochemistry
- Information management system
- Storage and transportation of samples
- Supply chain management
- Medical microbiology
- Infection control
The course duration is two years. After the completion of MLT course, candidates usually get an average salary package of 4-5 LPA. The salary differs based on the job profile and the company. It also increases with gaining relevant experience in the field.
Some institutes also offer certificate courses in this field to students who have completed class 10th. This provides fewer career opportunities as compared to a diploma course which can be pursued only after completing class 12th. To be a medical lab technician, you have to be focused and committed. The field requires you to follow protocols and be able to meet deadlines. You should also have the aptitude for science and research.
Which institute to choose?
There are several institutes offering courses in the medical lab technology field. The one that you choose for pursuing an MLT course should have the following features-
- Experienced faculty- A highly-qualified can help you learn the best techniques and get the right training for securing a job.
- Good infrastructure- The institute should have state of the art infrastructure and all the necessary laboratory equipment to aid in the learning process.
- Job assistance- By providing internships/ on-job training, an institute can enhance your career prospects.
- Skill enhancement- Only a reputed institute can provide you with the necessary employability skill training required for the job. These include communication skills, IT skills etc.
The eligibility criteria required for pursuing a diploma course in medical lab technology include:
- To pursue a diploma course in medical lab technology, the candidate has to complete class 12 with science.
- They require to be older than 17 years.
- Some institutes consider the marks scored in board exams for admission to DMLT course, while others conduct their entrance exams.
After the completion of the training, one can pursue their career as a medical lab technologist in any laboratory. You can work at hospitals, nursing homes, biochemical labs and reputed pharmaceutical companies. The various career prospects after the completion of a diploma course in medical lab technologies include-
- Both private and government laboratories require R&D lab technician, technical executive, and X-ray technician.
- You can get employed by insurance companies, public health and veterinary laboratories etc.
- Lab technicians also have various entrepreneurial opportunities available as well. They can start their own laboratory after completing the course.
- You can work as a marketing and sales professional for medical companies as well.
- You can pursue a bachelor medical lab technician course after completing DMLT.
- Several government jobs are also available for medical lab technicians.
People who have enough experience in the field can also go for supervisory positions as consultants, hospital outreach coordinators, laboratory managers, system analysts etc. MLT is a highly reputed career option for people who wish to take up a career in the healthcare field and wish to start working directly after completion of school.
Institutes like Smart Academy also offer entrepreneurial opportunities to their students who have completed the course. This is done with an incubation program specially designed for becoming an entrepreneur in the medical lab field.
If you wish to have a career in the healthcare industry, a DMLT course is one of the best ways of doing so. You can contribute to the research and development of the industry by being an MLT. You can pursue a diploma course directly after class 12 and pursue a bachelor’s course if you wish. Choose an institute that offers on-job training and helps you secure internships to enhance your chances of employability. This is a rewarding career with countless opportunities if you receive the best training from a reputed institute. If you wish to pursue a career that allows you to help others, this is an excellent option.