Similar to normal Office 365 mailbox, public folder, and shared mailbox, Office 365 archive mailbox also carries important data that need to be backed up. And, the best format to backup Office 365 data is PST format.
Therefore to guide users to backup Office 365 archive mailbox to PST format, we have created this guide. Here, we have listed two solutions – using MS Outlook to backup a single user’s archive mailbox and an automated tool to backup multiple user's Office 365 archive mailboxes.
Depending upon the ease, you have gone for the method that suits your requirement the best. But, before that, you should also understand when you should take backup and why?
- Microsoft isn’t responsible for keeping backup of your data
- No recovery option in case of a ransomware attack.
- Easily manage the backup of multiple organizations using a single interface.
- Built-In Data Governance tool available
- A recovery option for OneDrive is available, which is limited to 30days.
- Easily access data offline at the time of an outage
Techniques to Backup Office 365 Archive Mailbox
- Using Outlook to Backup Single User Archive Mailbox
- Using Automated Tool to Backup Single/Multiple User Archive Mailbox(s)
Technique #1: Using MS Outlook Application
Using the MS Outlook application, you can configure your Office 365 account into Outlook and then export the archive mailbox from your Office 365 account. Before proceeding make sure that you have desktop Outlook on your system. If not, then install it then follow the below steps:
1. Launch the Outlook application and go to the File tab.
2. Here, click on the Add Accounts option.
3. Configuring Office 365 account by entering Office 365 id and password.
4. After authentication is over, Outlook will start downloading all Office 365 account mailboxes into the application. Once finished, you can proceed with the export steps.
5. Go back to the File tab, now select the “Open & Export” option.
6. From the new file menu, select the “Import/Export” option.
7. From import/export wizard, select “export to a file” option >> Next.
8. In the next wizard window, select the “Outlook data file (.pst)” option >> Next.
9. Select Office 365 archive mailbox to backup >> Next
10 Browse the location where you wish to save the backed up data >> Finish.
Now the Outlook will start exporting the Office 365 archive mailbox and the backup will be generated at the chosen location.
That’s it! Using the Outlook application and the above steps you have successfully backup Office 365 archive mailbox to PST format. However, the above method has only backed up one user account.
What if you have multiple Office 365 accounts whose archive mailbox needs to be backup?
Then surely you don’t have enough time to configure Office 365 account in MS Outlook (because configuring Office 365 with Outlook may take hours or day – depending upon the amount of data in the Office 365 account).
So, it's best to use a different approach to do such complex and lengthy tasks, and the best way to do that is by using an automated tool.
Technique #2: Using Automated Tool to Backup Multiple User’s Archive Mailbox
Use SysTools Office 365 Export tool to export Office 365 mailbox(es) to .pst file format. This tool allows you to backup archive mailbox along with normal and shared mailboxes too. You can operate this tool with and with the admin account. No matter where you are just a normal user or admin, anyone can access login into the tool to backup data.
Admin Login: It allows to take backup of all user account, their archive mailbox, and shared mailbox.
User Login: Allows to take backup of your own mailboxes only. You can take backup of the normal and archive mailbox.
Follow the steps to backup Office 365 archive mailbox to PST:
1. First either login with Admin or User account (following steps are for admin)
2. Select the users whose archive mailbox need to be exported
3. Choose the email format as “PST” and select “Archive Mailbox” & set date-filter.
4. Browse the location where you wish to save the backup & click on the Save button.
That’s it! Now the tool will automatically start taking backup of selected Office 365 accounts and save the archive mailbox backup at the chosen location. You can view the live status of the backup, and once done, click on the Save Report button and exit the tool.
Tips: You can even use the split PST option to generate variable-size PST files.
In this article, we have discussed two techniques to backup Office 365 archive mailbox to PST. For single-user account backup, its best to go for the manual solution. However, when the number of user increase, its best to take the help of an automated tool only. As, it is a faster, easier, and error-free solution. So, understand your requirements carefully and choose the best method.
Published by Robert Allardice