There are many of us who love to have a kitchen that has a transitional appearance. This basically means a perfect amalgamation of modern and vintage looks. And more often, this case involves having a vintage kitchen cabinetry that is fitted with modern fixtures and installations for state-of-the-art utility that is both efficient and time-saving.
As far as vintage kitchen cabinetry goes, two popular types include walnut kitchen cabinets and white shaker kitchen cabinets. So, if you want to give your kitchen a vintage décor, go for either of these. However, in this blog, we shall be talking about what are the different modern fixtures that you can opt for in order to turn this vintage décor into a transitional one.
Here are 5 ways to turn your vintage kitchen transitional:
1. Go for Pull-outs instead of drawers: The inconvenience of pulling out a drawer to get hold of a required item seems eternal, doesn’t it? Well, it will not be so with pull-outs. Pull-outs are basically drawers that have rollers underneath them that allow them to be “pulled-out” easily without almost any effort. So, whether you have walnut cabinets or white shaker cabinets, opting for pull-outs certainly make a great modern addition to your vintage cabinetry, thus giving you a transitional kitchen décor.
2. Minimal cabinet style: A vintage cabinetry has its finish to show its vintage-ism. There is no need to go for moldings or other fixtures that make the vintage appeal seem over-the-top. Which is why, be it walnut or white shaker, it is suggested to go for a minimal style cabinetry with symmetrical cabinets or if not then at least some symmetry that bounds the whole kitchen together. Do not go for much larger or longer cabinets but instead go for small or regular sized cabinets. Go for no more than double-door units. This helps maintains the proportions of the cabinetry and thus the whole kitchen space.
3. Go for inset doors: Contrary to regular doors that have a separate structure on top of your cabinets, inset doors are set into the very frame of the cabinetry and provide for a great minimal and custom smooth appearance. So, while you have walnut kitchen cabinets or white shaker kitchen cabinets to give you the vintage appearance, inset doors provide a great modern fixture that is also perhaps also one of the most used ones. This allows for a more hands-on experience for your guests who will be all the more awe-inspired by the transitional appearance of your decor.
4. Go for an unusual overall appearance: The one thing that matters most of all is to have a not-too-basic kitchen appearance. There are lots of trends that you can incorporate in your vintage kitchen cabinetry, that will help you turn your otherwise vintage walnut cabinets more like modern walnut cabinets. A great way to do this would be with the help of lights. Go for under-cabinet lighting. This is a great way to uphold space. The lights, which are not visible unless you look for them beneath the cabinets, give a great modern flavor.
5. Cabinetry installations: Today, there are lots of cabinetry installations that let you turn your vintage kitchen into a transitional one. From toe-kick drawers to Lazy Susans to pull-out spice racks to pull-out stairs to pull-outs (as mentioned in point 1 above), the list on and on. Each and every single one of these is a great piece of modern fixture that gives your vintage cabinetry a great modern, and thus, transitional appeal.
Keeping these 5 points will help you turn your vintage walnut cabinets or white shaker cabinets into a transitional one. It is not at all tough; all that you have to do is opt for those that you see fit. And see your kitchen transition.
Published by Syed Mohammad Anwer